You are here

Delaware Tech Partners with New Castle County Head Start for First Onsite Class

WILMINGTON  - New Castle County Head Start, Inc., and Delaware Tech have partnered to provide an associate’s level class for Head Start staff at the Absalom Jones Head Start center in the Cedar Heights area of New Castle County. This is the first course offered by Delaware Technical Community College’s Education Department at a partner location. The course, Childhood Nutrition/Safety (ECE111), is required for an associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education.

New Castle County Head Start, Inc. provides continuing education assistance to its entire full-time staff. Currently, 82% of Head Start teacher assistants have a CDA (national accreditation). The other 18% have an associate degree or higher. The agency is working toward a goal of 100% of teacher assistants having an associate degree or higher. All New Castle County Head Start, Inc. teachers have a bachelor’s degree or higher.

“We are excited about expanding our partnership with Delaware Tech,” comments New Castle County Head Start, Inc. Executive Director Jeffrey Benatti. “We hope this class will evolve into a cohort program for our teacher assistants to work closely together in their pursuit of an associate degree in Early Childhood Education.”

Delaware Tech’s Education Department Chair Kimberly Krzanowski says, “The Education Department has had a long-standing partnership with New Castle County Head Start, Inc. and we believe this offsite initiative will only strengthen the relationship. Early childhood educators are at the forefront of a child’s learning experience and our goal is to ensure students are trained and educated to succeed in the field.”

Delaware Tech’s Early Childhood Education degree provides training in curriculum development and implementation, communication skills and classroom management strategies. Graduates of the program will be ready to play an important role in the delivery of quality children’s programs in a variety of settings including home and child care centers. The degree will also establish professional credentials and a foundation for moving into a management position in the growing early childhood field.