Associate Degree Program
In order to communicate visual information effectively you must have the imagination, skill, and talent to take an idea, develop it, and present it in an engaging manner. Delaware Tech’s Advertising Design program is a focused curriculum aimed at training new professional creative talent for the information age. The program offers a valuable way to capitalize on your talents as you harness your imagination to the tools of the electronic media. You will open opportunities for yourself in graphic arts and web design, as well as marketing and sales communications. This program prepares you for a successful career where you will apply creative commercial and graphic arts solutions for the promotional needs of the publishing, printing, or advertising industries.
Upon completion of this program, you will have developed a broad knowledge that will allow you to be involved in a range of projects from traditional print items such as brochures, publications, and stationery to exhibits, signage, and audio/visual presentations.
This program is offered at the Dover campus.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare you for positions such as:
- In-house designer for corporations, publishers, schools, retailers, and design firms
- Independent, self-employed designer
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salaries range from $26,000 - $35,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Integrate the principles and elements of design into cohesive problem solving techniques for advertising design assignments.
- Create or evaluate and select, illustrative or photographic imagery for use in effectively evoking a response within an ad-design solution's target market.
- Critique design solutions and develop strategies for strengthening their conceptual and technical effectiveness.
- Structure a problem solving strategy for delivery of the client's message to his market, making efficient use of current design, production and delivery technologies.
- Synthesize components of ad-design solutions into cohesive presentations to/for clients that are technically and conceptually effective.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.