Baking and Pastry Skills Certificate
Is your favorite room the kitchen and your favorite appliance the stove? If you answered “yes” to both questions, then the one-year Baking and Pastry Skills Certificate offered at Delaware Tech will prepare you for employment in the hospitality industry as an entry-level pastry cook. If you’re already an industry professional, you’ll learn additional skills to help you advance to a supervisory position. At Delaware Tech, you’ll gain experience in the demonstration and skills kitchen, learning the details of culinary arts including food preparation, baking, sanitation, and nutrition.
Courses are offered on a part-time basis, and the 18 credits earned in this program may be applied to the Baking and Pastry Skills Studies Diploma or the Associate Degree in the Culinary Arts or Food Service Management programs. Industry professionals and students will also acquire the mandatory classes required by the American Culinary Federation to begin the certification process.
This program is offered at the Dover and Stanton campuses.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare you for positions such as:
- Baker’s Assistant
- Cake Decorator
- Menu planner
- Pastry and recipe designer
- Supervisor of kitchen staff
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Introduce standard baking and pastry procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment.
- Explain and apply the basic principles of food sanitation and safety in the work environment.
- Produce a variety of baking and pastry items within realistic time constraints.
- Discuss the principles of nutrient needs to dessert menu planning and preparation.
- Evaluate styles of leadership and develop skills in human relations and personnel management.