Associate Degree Program
Diagnostic Medical Sonography is one of the safest medical imaging modalities available today. The diagnostic medical sonographer is a highly skilled professional who uses specialized instrumentation to obtain images of structures inside the human body to assist qualified physicians to make a medical diagnosis.
The Georgetown Campus offers the general learning Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program (DMS). The Wilmington campus offers both the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program (DMS) and the Cardiovascular Sonography Program (CVS) within the field of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. CVS focuses on procedures that help to diagnose abnormalities related to heart and vascular diseases.
Academically ready students can apply to the program following the guidelines of the Allied Health competitive admission process. Interested applicants should review the information provided here and contact their program advisor for application requirements.
This program is offered at the Wilmington campus.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare you for positions such as:
- Sonographer/echocardiographer/vascular technologist
- Lead technologist/supervisor/manager
- Equipment application specialist
All in working environments which include hospitals, private imaging centers, physician offices, health care facilities, colleges or universities, and equipment manufacturers.
WHAT YOU WILL EARN
Competitive starting salaries range from $48,000 - $64,000.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
The goals of the Cardiovascular Sonography program are “to prepare competent entry-level vascular technologists and adult cardiac sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains,” and to prepare qualified graduates to successfully pass the national registry examinations administered by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Perform competently a full range of echocardiography procedures.
- Perform competently a full range of vascular sonographic procedures.
- Utilize professional verbal, nonverbal, and written communication skills in patient care, procedure intervention, and professional relationships.
- Act in a professional and ethical manner and comply with professional scope of practice.
- Integrate critical thinking and problem solving skills as expected of a healthcare professional.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
PURSUING A BACHELOR’S DEGREE?
This is a Connected Degree program that enables you to complete your associate degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a junior. See an academic counselor for details!
The Cardiovascular Sonography Associate Degree program at the Wilmington campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS).
JRC – DMS
6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500
Ellicott City, MD 21043
Email Address: email@example.com
Primary Contacts: Cindy Weiland or Gerry Magat
Phone Number: (443) 973-3251