Associate Degree Program
Enter the exciting world of media through this public service technology. Hands-on experience combined with the dynamic application of theory prepares students for the ever-changing communications field.
This program is offered at the Georgetown campus.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions such as:
- Copy editor
- Media sales person
- Newspaper and electronic media reporter
- Public relations specialist
- Radio producer
- Speech writer
- Television camera operator
- Television news producer
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salaries range from $30,000-$40,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Analyze the impact of media on society.
- Produce print, radio, video, and web media products that meet professional standards.
- Apply principles of design to media products.
- Demonstrate effective professional communication skills.
- Apply professional, ethical, and legal standards of behavior.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate, and use information effectively.
- Use computers or related technology for practical and/or professional applications.
- Apply scientific inquiry and mathematical reasoning to practical problems.