As a graduate of Delaware Tech’s Culinary Arts Cooking Certificate program, you’ll have the basic skills necessary to start on a career path to becoming a chef. In the program, you’ll learn the fundamentals of food preparation and gain practical experience in basic baking, garde-manger, buffet presentation, and international cuisine. You’ll work in the skills development kitchen and take field trips to the kitchens of area hotels and restaurants. The Culinary Arts Cooking Certificate prepares students to join the fast-growing food service industry and obtain a respected position in a career field where these skills are in demand. It’s an excellent way to earn the credentials to help you advance through the various opportunities that the industry offers with the final goal of becoming a chef.
Courses are offered on a part-time basis, and the credits earned through this program may be applied to the Kitchen Skills Diploma and ultimately the Associate Degree in the Culinary Arts or Food Service Management. Industry professionals and students will also acquire the mandatory classes required by the American Culinary Federation to begin their certification process. The College is a member of the National Restaurant Association and the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
This program is offered at the Stanton campus.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare you for positions such as:
- Prep Cook
- Line Cook
- Pantry Cook
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Introduce standard culinary procedures using the appropriate knives, tools and equipment.
- Explain and apply the basic principles of food sanitation and safety in the work environment.
- Introduce principles of food preparation to produce a variety of hot and cold food products within realistic time constraints.
- Introduce the fundamentals of baking and pastry.
- Discuss the principles of nutrient needs for food preparation.
- Examine styles of leadership and develop skills in human relations and personnel management.