- Programs of Study
- Advertising Design
- Agribusiness Management
- Airframe Maintenance Technology
- Airframe Maintenance Technology Certificate
- Architectural Engineering Interior Design
- Architectural Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technician Studies
- Baking and Pastry Skills Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Skills Studies
- Biological Sciences
- Cardiovascular Sonography
- Chemical Process Operator
- Chemical Process Operator Certificate
- Chemical Process Operator Studies
- Chemistry Math Concentration
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Commercial Transportation Certificate
- Commercial Transportation Studies
- Computer Aided Drafting Design Technology
- Computer Engineering Technology Option
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Network Engineering Technology
- Computing and Information Science
- Construction Management
- Cooking Certificate
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Dental Hygiene
- Design Engineering Mechanical
- Developmental Math
- Developmental Reading
- Developmental Writing
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Direct Support Professional Certificate
- Drug Alcohol Counseling
- Drug Alcohol Counseling Certificate
- ENT Refrigeration Heating AC Certificate
- Early Care and Education Birth to Second Grade
- Early Childhood Development
- Early Childhood Studies
- Electrical Engineering Technology Option
- Electronics Engineering Technology
- Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology Biomedical
- Elementary Education
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic Certificate
- Energy Management
- English as a Second Language Certificate
- Entrepreneurship Certificate
- Environmental Engineering Technology
- Environmental Technology Water Quality
- Exercise Science
- Fire Protection
- Food Safety
- Food Service Management
- General Business
- Health Information Management
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Hospitality Management
- Human Services
- Information Security
- Instructional Design and Technology Certificate
- Instrumentation Certificate
- Instrumentation Engineering Technology Option
- Kitchen Skills Studies
- Landscape and Ornamental Horticulture
- Laser and Optics Studies
- Law Enforcement Option
- Machinist Training Level 1 Certificate
- Machinist Training Level 2 Certificate
- Math Secondary Education
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding Studies
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Microcomputers and Networking
- Middle Level Mathematics Education
- Nuclear Medicine
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Office Administration
- Operations Management
- Paralegal Certificate
- Photo Imaging
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nursing Studies
- Production Agriculture
- Radiologic Technology
- Refrigeration Heating AC
- Refrigeration Heating AC Studies
- Renewable Energy Solar
- Respiratory Care
- Science Education Chemistry Physics
- Social Science
- Surgical Technology
- Surveying and Geomatics Engineering Technology
- Turf Management
- Veterinary Technology
- Web Development
- Registration Information
- Academic Calendar
- Transfer Options
- International Education
- Instructional Technology & CCIT
- Learning Options
- Student Handbook
- College Catalog
Drug Alcohol Counseling
Associate Degree Program
Alcohol and drug addiction is a major public health problem in America. The consequences are far-reaching and affect individuals, families, and society as a whole. Our program will provide an understanding of drug use, abuse and dependence and the related personal and social consequences. You will develop skills to provide therapeutic services for people dealing with substance abuse, with an emphasis on helping them maintain recovery and prevent relapse. As a graduate, you will be prepared for entry into the drug and alcohol counseling profession and/or to continue your education at a four-year institution to complete a bachelor's degree. The Drug and Alcohol Counseling courses are accepted by the Delaware Certification Board and lead to partial fulfillment of the requirements for certification.
This program is offered at the Dover and Wilmington Campuses.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions such as:
- Chemical Dependency Technician
- Drug and Alcohol Counselor
- Prevention Specialist
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salaries ranging from $17,000-$28,000
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Create and maintain effective and professional documents relevant to Drug and Alcohol Counseling.
- Interact ethically and professionally within the Drug and Alcohol Counseling field.
- Apply information to identify client's strengths, weaknesses and resources to create a treatment plan.
- Provide effective client services at an entry level by utilizing professional Drug and Alcohol Counseling principles and practices.
- Establish effective working relationships within the Drug and Alcohol Counseling arena.
- Apply basic management and leadership skills in Drug and Alcohol Counseling environments, including time management, organization, and the ability to follow directions.
- Utilize feedback to assess the effect of oneself on Drug and Alcohol Counseling outcomes and make adjustments accordingly.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology...
Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree?
This is a Connected Degree program that enables you to complete your associate degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a junior. See an academic advisor for details!
Campus-Specific Drug Alcohol Counseling Information
Department Chair, Instructor
This program is not offered at the Georgetown Campus
This program is not offered at the Stanton Campus