Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic
Associate Degree Program
The paramedic provides advanced pre-hospital emergency care under medical command authority to acutely ill or injured patients and transports patients by ambulance or other appropriate emergency vehicles. As a paramedic, you will demonstrate: an awareness of abilities and limitations in providing emergency medical services, the ability to communicate with people and the capacity to make sound decisions while under stress. The paramedic program prepares you to assess and clinically manage a patient suffering a trauma or medical emergency, lead a team, direct and coordinate the transport of a patient while communicating with a medical command authority.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible to sit for the national registry of emergency medical technicians paramedic exam.
Academically ready students can apply to the program following the guidelines of the Allied Health competitive admission process. Interested applicants should review the information provided here and contact their program advisor for application requirements.
This program is offered at the Dover campus.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions such as:
- Emergency paramedic
- Flight paramedic
- Critical care paramedic
What You Will Earn
A competitive starting salary ranging from $35,000 - $40,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Perform all psychomotor Paramedic skills in the National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards consistent with acceptable practice for an entry level paramedic.
- Conduct complete, accurate and timely patient assessments to include history and physical exam, and communicate findings.
- Interpret assessment findings in order to accurately identify a differential diagnosis and integrate pathophysiologic principles and legal responsibilities to formulate a treatment plan.
- Effectively perform the role of Team Leader to include: timely decision making, effective resource utilization, implementing appropriate plan of action for a given situation, adapting the plan to changing conditions change and communicate.
- Assess a scene or situation in order to identify threats to operating safely.
- Apply communication and ethical decision making skills required for an entry-level paramedic.
- Exhibit professional affective behavior.
- Function effectively as an entry level paramedic in the pre-hospital working environment in the roles of Team Leader and Team Member.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
The Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
FAX (214) 703-8992