Welcome to the English Department of Delaware Technical Community College. The classes in our program are designed to provide you with the skills you need to communicate effectively and efficiently both in your chosen major and in a work environment. Courses cover everything from basic fundamentals to advanced global communication skills. We can help you cultivate a professional persona that reflects confidence, adapts to diverse populations and environments, and positions you for success in future courses and a changing workplace.
These courses are offered at the Dover, Georgetown, Stanton, and Wilmington campuses.
How We Can Help You SUCCEED
- We have dedicated instructors.
- Our class sizes are small.
- We offer free faculty-led tutoring.
- Our classes are designed for all skill levels.
- Our classes are offered in multiple formats: Learning Communities, Online, and Distributed Learning Courses.
- Our courses are available at each of our four campuses.
What You Will Learn
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
Related Associate Degree Programs
English is a foundation for success in every profession, and we are here to help make sure that you are prepared to enter yours with the tools needed to succeed.
Every associate degree major requires two courses in English. Your program will select the courses from the following offerings: Critical Thinking and Academic Writing, Composition and Research, Communication, Business Communication, and Oral Communication.