Law Enforcement Option
Associate Degree Program
Are you highly motivated and interested in a career in law enforcement? Designed and offered in partnership with the Delaware State Police Training Academy, this competitive admissions program provides the education and training to be a competitive applicant for the Delaware State Police or a municipal police agency. Theory and lab courses are taught by certified police instructors. If accepted for employment, graduates of the program may be eligible to attend a 14-week course of study at the Delaware State Policy Training Academy (Accelerated Academy), rather than the standard 22-week course of study. This degree offers graduates the opportunity to increase their potential when participating in the hiring process for law enforcement positions.
Graduates of the police academy can also attend Delaware Tech to complete the Criminal Justice Associate degree.
This program is offered at the Dover, Georgetown, and Stanton campuses.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare you for positions such as:
- Delaware State Police Officer
- Delaware Municipal Police Officer
What you will earn
Competitive starting salaries range from $32,000 - $50,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Employ criminal justice ethics in the performance of duties.
- Employ the legal principles and practices of criminal and constitutional law.
- Utilize interviewing, counseling, and crisis intervention techniques with diverse criminal justice populations.
- Apply the knowledge and skills of a law enforcement professional.
- Meet the academic training eligibility requirements for advanced standing status at the Delaware State Police Academy.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.