- Programs of Study
- Advertising Design
- Agribusiness Management
- Architectural Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technician Studies
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- Baking and Pastry Skills Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Skills Studies
- Biological Sciences
- Building Automation Systems Option
- Business Administration Transfer Option
- Cardiovascular Sonography
- Chemical Process Operator
- Chemical Process Operator Certificate
- Chemical Process Operator Studies
- Chemistry Math Concentration
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Commercial Transportation Certificate
- Commercial Transportation Studies
- Computer Aided Drafting Design Technology
- Computer Engineering Tcy Option
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Network Engineering Technology
- Computing and Information Science
- Construction Management
- Cooking Certificate
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Dental Hygiene
- Design Engineering Mechanical
- Developmental Math
- Developmental Reading
- Developmental Writing
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Direct Support Professional Certificate
- Drug Alcohol Counseling
- Drug Alcohol Counseling Certificate
- ENT Refrigeration Heating AC Certificate
- Early Care and Education Birth to Second Grade
- Early Childhood Development
- Early Childhood Studies
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Transfer Option
- Electronics Engineering Tcy
- Electronics Engineering Technology Biomedical Option
- Electronics Engineering Technology Instrumentation Certificate
- Electronics Engineering Technology Instrumentation Option
- Electronics Engineering Technology Transfer Option
- Elementary Education
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic Certificate
- Energy Management
- English as a Second Language Certificate
- Entrepreneurship Certificate
- Environmental Engineering Technology
- Exercise Science
- Fire Protection
- Food Safety
- Food Service Management
- General Business
- Geographic Information Systems Technology
- Health Information Management
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Hospitality Management
- Human Services
- Information Security
- Instructional Design and Technology Certificate
- Kitchen Skills Studies
- Landscape and Ornamental Horticulture
- Laser and Optics Studies
- Law Enforcement Option
- Machinist Training Level 1 Certificate
- Machinist Training Level 2 Certificate
- Math Secondary Education
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding Studies
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Middle Level Mathematics Education
- Nuclear Medicine
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Office Administration
- Operations Management
- Paralegal Certificate
- Photo Imaging
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nursing Studies
- Production Agriculture
- Radiologic Technology
- Refrigeration Heating AC
- Refrigeration Heating AC Studies
- Renewable Energy Solar
- Respiratory Care
- Science Education Chemistry Physics
- Social Science
- Surgical Technology
- Surveying and Geomatics Engineering Technology
- Turf Management
- Veterinary Technology
- Web Development
- Registration Information
- Academic Calendar
- Transfer Options
- International Education
- Instructional Technology & CCIT
- Learning Options
- Student Handbook
- College Catalog
Physical Therapist Assistant
Associate Degree Program
Physical therapist assistants work under the supervision of licensed physical therapists to provide services to people of all ages who have a variety of physical limitations, resulting from injury, disease or other causes. As a physical therapist assistant (PTA), you will be a licensed health care worker who provides physical therapy services under the supervision and direction of the physical therapist. You will assist with data collection, implement patient programs designed by the physical therapist, make appropriate judgments, modify interventions within the established plan of care, participate in discharge planning and follow-up care, and document the care provided to the patient. You will also educate and interact with health care team members, including families, caregivers, students and patients. Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible to sit for the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE).
Academically ready students can apply to the program following the guidelines of the Allied Health competitive admission process. Interested applicants should review the information provided here and contact their program advisor for application requirements.
Offered at the Georgetown and Wilmington campuses.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions in:
- Rehabilitation centers
- Home health
- Out-patient clinics
- Skilled nursing facilities
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salaries range from $35,000 - $48,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Work under the supervision of a physical therapist in an ethical, legal, safe and effective manner.
- Implement PT interventions within the plan of care.
- Perform specific data collection techniques related to the plan of care.
- Demonstrate effective communication in the physical therapy environment.
- Formulate appropriate judgments and modification to the program within the patient's plan of care.
- Demonstrate effective interactions and professional behaviors.
- Participate in career development activities.
- Exhibit a commitment to the physical therapy profession,physical therapy patients, and the community.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree?
This is a Connected Degree program that enables you to complete your associate degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a junior. See a program advisor for details.
Campus-Specific Physical Therapist Assistant Information
This program of study is not offered at the Dover Campus location.
Department Chair, Instructor,
and Program Advisor
Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Delaware Technical Community College Jack F. Owens Campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: (703) 706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: http://www.capteonline.org.
This program of study is not offered at the Stanton Campus location.
Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Delaware Technical Community College Orlando J. George, Jr. Campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: (703) 706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.capteonline.org.