- Programs of Study
- Advertising Design
- Agribusiness Management
- Airframe Maintenance Technology
- Airframe Maintenance Technology Certificate
- Architectural Engineering Interior Design
- Architectural Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technician Studies
- Baking and Pastry Skills Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Skills Studies
- Biological Sciences
- Building Automation Systems Option
- Business Administration Transfer Option
- Cardiovascular Sonography
- Chemical Process Operator
- Chemical Process Operator Certificate
- Chemical Process Operator Studies
- Chemistry Math Concentration
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Commercial Transportation Certificate
- Commercial Transportation Studies
- Computer Aided Drafting Design Technology
- Computer Engineering Tcy Option
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Network Engineering Technology
- Computing and Information Science
- Construction Management
- Cooking Certificate
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Dental Hygiene
- Design Engineering Mechanical
- Developmental Math
- Developmental Reading
- Developmental Writing
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Direct Support Professional Certificate
- Drug Alcohol Counseling
- Drug Alcohol Counseling Certificate
- ENT Refrigeration Heating AC Certificate
- Early Care and Education Birth to Second Grade
- Early Childhood Development
- Early Childhood Studies
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Transfer Option
- Electronics Engineering Tcy
- Electronics Engineering Technology Biomedical Option
- Electronics Engineering Technology Instrumentation Certificate
- Electronics Engineering Technology Instrumentation Option
- Elementary Education
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic
- Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic Certificate
- Energy Management
- English as a Second Language Certificate
- Entrepreneurship Certificate
- Environmental Engineering Technology
- Environmental Technology Water Quality
- Exercise Science
- Fire Protection
- Food Safety
- Food Service Management
- General Business
- Health Information Management
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Hospitality Management
- Human Services
- Information Security
- Instructional Design and Technology Certificate
- Kitchen Skills Studies
- Landscape and Ornamental Horticulture
- Laser and Optics Studies
- Law Enforcement Option
- Machinist Training Level 1 Certificate
- Machinist Training Level 2 Certificate
- Math Secondary Education
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding Studies
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Middle Level Mathematics Education
- Nuclear Medicine
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Office Administration
- Operations Management
- Paralegal Certificate
- Photo Imaging
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nursing Studies
- Production Agriculture
- Radiologic Technology
- Refrigeration Heating AC
- Refrigeration Heating AC Studies
- Renewable Energy Solar
- Respiratory Care
- Science Education Chemistry Physics
- Social Science
- Surgical Technology
- Surveying and Geomatics Engineering Technology
- Turf Management
- Veterinary Technology
- Web Development
- Registration Information
- Academic Calendar
- Transfer Options
- International Education
- Instructional Technology & CCIT
- Learning Options
- Student Handbook
- College Catalog
Associate Degree Program
The Respiratory Care program prepares students to become advanced practitioners in the fast-growing field of cardiopulmonary science. Respiratory Care is the allied health profession that cares for patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system. As one of the most dynamic allied health fields, respiratory care provides excellent career opportunities and salaries competitive with other allied health professions. As a respiratory therapist, you will be a respected member of a health care team. You will care for a diverse group of patients ranging from newborn and pediatric patients to adults and the elderly.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible to sit for the National Board for Respiratory Care's (NBRC) Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) exams. The CRT examination is designed to objectively measure essential knowledge, skills and abilities required of entry level respiratory therapists. It is used by most states, including Delaware, as part of the process to apply for a license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. The RRT examination objectively measures essential knowledge, skills and abilities required of advanced respiratory therapists and sets uniform standards for measuring such knowledge.
Academically ready students can apply to the program following the guidelines of the Allied Health competitive admission process. Interested applicants should review the information provided here and contact their program advisor for application requirements.
Offered at the Georgetown and Wilmington campuses.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions such as:
- Respiratory therapist
- Pulmonary function technologist
- Cardiopulmonary educator
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salary as much as $50,000 per year or higher.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Apply theoretical information that leads to an appropriate action in the application or delivery of respiratory care procedures.
- Perform technical skills in the implementation of respiratory care procedures within a plan of care.
- Practice behaviors that are consistent with professional and employer expectations/requirements of their employees.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree?
This is a Connected Degree program that enables you to complete your associate degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a junior. See a program advisor for details!
Campus-Specific Respiratory Care Information
This program of study is offered in Georgetown and Wilmington.
Department Chair, Instructor,
and Program Advisor
The Respiratory Care Program at the Georgetown campus is fully accredited by the commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) until 2016. The program prepares graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRTs). Program graduates have the opportunity to earn both the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) Certification credential (CRT) and Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential. The CRT credential is a prerequisite for admission to the Registry Examinations.
This program of study is offered in Georgetown and Wilmington.
The Respiratory Care program at the Wilmington campus has been granted continuing accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). The program was awarded this on November 19, 2011.
Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, TX 76021-4244
CoARC Home Page: http://www.coarc.com
National Board for Respiratory Care Entry Level Exam
(Required to practice in Delaware)