Associate Degree Program
The demand for skilled personnel in the turf management industry increases each year. Students whose love of the outdoors is combined with motivation, good work ethics and a desire to be an integral part of a team are “naturals” for this technology. The program is designed to provide students with the detailed knowledge and skills necessary to attain successful employment in the field of turf management.
This program is offered at the Georgetown Campus.
What You Can Do
In this program, you will gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for positions such as:
- Assistant equipment manager
- Assistant golf course superintendent
- Athletic turf management technician
- Chemical spray technician
- Equipment operator
- Golf course foreman
- Irrigation specialist
- Sports Field manager
- Turf and golf management technician
What You Will Earn
Competitive starting salaries range from $27,000-$60,000.
What You Will Learn
Program Graduate Competencies
The Program Graduate Competencies listed below identify the major learning goals related to your specific program of study and identify the knowledge and skills you will have when you graduate to be successful in your chosen field.
- Select preventive maintenance programs for greens, fairways, and equipment.
- Apply basic installation techniques for irrigation systems.
- Explain the importance of soil and water management to the turfgrass management industry.
- Safely operate turf equipment.
- Apply business principles and strategies to the turfgrass industry.
- Cultivate and maintain golf course landscapes.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as an associate degree graduate, will be able to do upon completion of your degree, regardless of your major. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology.
Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree?
This is a Connected Degree program that enables you to complete your associate degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a junior. See a program advisor for details!