Class Attendance

  • Federal law requires that students who receive federal financial aid must attend the classes for which they are registered in order to receive financial aid payment. Students who never attend a class will not receive any federal financial aid relating to that class, even when withdrawing from the College by following the College‚Äôs procedures for officially withdrawing.
  • Each semester, your instructors will notify the Financial Aid Office at various times about any classes you are not attending. Refer to the College calendar for reporting dates. 
  • If your instructors indicate that you are not in attendance for a course, your financial aid will be adjusted downward. It is then possible that you will not have sufficient funds to pay your charges to the College, and you will be held responsible for making payment from your own resources.
  • Not attending your class is equivalent to an unofficial withdrawal from that course.
  • An unofficial withdrawal will affect your GPA and your enrollment status, thus affecting your eligibility for financial aid for the current semester and for future semesters.
  • You will also be charged for that course, which means you are responsible for paying for a class which you are not attending. It is best to withdraw officially from any course that you can no longer attend. In this way, your charges will be minimized and it is possible that there will be no adjustment to your financial aid. Refer to the College Student Handbook for a description of drop/add and withdrawal procedures for classes you are no longer attending. You must follow these procedures to minimize or avoid financial aid penalties.
  • The official withdrawal procedures do not pertain to classes that you never attend. If you have registered for a class and you will not be able to attend that class, you must drop the class during the free drop/add period.  While this may reduce the amount of your financial aid payment for the semester, you will avoid any financial aid penalties and charges for tuition and fees for that class.
  • If you receive a financial aid payment greater than what you are eligible for, you have received an overpayment of your award. Students who have overpayments will be responsible for charges to the College and for paying back to U. S. Department of Education any amount of that overpayment.
  • The College is required to report overpayments of financial aid awards to the Department of Education. Until you pay back the amount of your overpayment, you may be ineligible for financial aid at any institution you attend.
  • Best advice: register only for those classes you know you will attend. Officially withdraw from a class if you are unable to continue for some legitimate reason. This will minimize the damage to your financial aid status and may help you to continue receiving financial aid in the future, at Delaware Tech or at some other institution.
  • Remember: it is important that you attend all your classes and complete them successfully, or officially withdraw from any or all of your classes that you no longer want to attend to minimize or avoid financial aid penalties. Contact your advisor or counselor for assistance.