Federal Work Study

If you are an eligible student with a financial need, the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program might be another way to help you earn money to help pay for college. The program also encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

To qualify for any form of financial aid, including Federal Work Study, the first step is filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Work-Study jobs are offered on-campus. Some on-campus jobs, particularly tutoring, are considered community-service. Examples of departments that have hired work-study students include:

  • Student Support Center
  • Computer Lab
  • Student Support Services
  • Financial Aid Office
  • Athletic Department
  • Academic Office
  • Child Care Center


Why participate in Federal Work Study?
In addition to helping to pay for the cost of education, the experience gained can make you competitive in the world of work after you graduate and can really add pizzazz to your resume.

How does it work?
You are paid by the hour. When hired, you will receive a contract that indicates the maximum amount of your Work-Study award for each semester you work.

The amount of your maximum FWS award is determined by the Financial Aid Office, and will depend on a number of different factors, which include:

  • The number of hours per week you are expected to work
  • The hourly rate
  • Your level of financial need
  • The School’s annual Work-Study funding allotment form the U.S. Department of Education
  • The number of students participating in the Work-Study program

Work Study students can work up to 20 hours per week. Also, the total amount you can earn can not exceed your total Work-Study award indicated on your contract. When assigning work hours, your employer will consider your class schedule and the needs of the department.

How do I get paid?
You are paid for the number of hours you work, and on the same schedule as all employees of the College: on a bi-weekly basis.

Direct deposit is mandatory for all work study students, funds are deposited to your authorized account by Friday morning.

Students are responsible for submitting their time sheets to the Financial Aid Office. Time sheets must be approved by your supervisor.

How do I know if I am eligible?

  • You must be eligible for financial aid
  • You must have a complete financial aid file (e.g., all required documents submitted to the financial Aid Office.)
  • You must be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible non-U.S. citizen for financial aid purposes.
  • If male, in full compliance with Selective Service registration, or have documented evidence of a lawful exemption.
  • You must be enrolled.
  • For Summer Work-Study, to continue after June 30th, you must be pre-registered for the following fall.
  • You must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients.

How do I apply?
If you are interested in work study, visit your financial aid office to see if you are eligible. If eligible, the financial aid office will walk you through the hiring process.  You will be advised of your maximum FWS award and total number of hours to work for the academic year.

NOTE: Jobs are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. The application is reviewed and an interview is scheduled between you and the financial aid coordinator. Selection of the best position suitable for you and your skills will be determined at that time, and you will review your maximum FWS award for the academic year. The financial aid coordinator will then send you to meet with your potential supervisor, to discuss a possible FWS position. 

What else do I need to do?
You, the student, must complete certain documents when you are hired as a Work-Study student. Remember: You will not be able to begin working until all forms are received and processed.

NOTE: If you participated in the Work-Study program the previous year, you are not required to complete these forms again.

The REQUIRED FORMS are as follows:

  • W-4 Form ( pdf 31k)
  • Complete and sign the first page only
  • Personal Data Form (pdf 30K)
  • Answer all questions on this form and sign.
  • Employment Eligibility Verification Form, I-9 (pdf 19k)
  • Complete and sign Section 1 only.
  • Drug Free Schools and Workplace Policy
  • Electronic Mail and Internet Usage Policy
  • Payroll Authorization for Direct Deposit (optional, however soon becoming mandatory).
  • In addition to the forms listed above, please submit either:
  • A copy of your social security card and a photo I.D. (e.g., valid driver’s license, school I.D., or any I.D. card issued by federal, state, or local governments.)  


  • A copy of your U.S. passport (valid or invalid).